Following the success of “Doctor for a day”, Mount Elizabeth Novena is back with even more options for kids! Besides the opportunity to become a GP or a surgeon, Mount Elizabeth is back... READ MORE
A Father's View on Parenting & the Family:
Following the success of “Doctor for a day”, Mount Elizabeth Novena is back with even more options for kids! Besides the opportunity to become a GP or a surgeon, Mount Elizabeth is back with different medical specializations. Now they can become an optometrist, radiologist or even a pharmacist! Yes! More options and more opportunities to live out their medical aspirations. As you might have guessed, the response from the public has been overwhelming, and many of the spots for the sessions, were taken up very quickly.
Mount Elizabeth Novena, is just located next to Novena MRT, making it very accessible to families. If you are wondering what you can expect in Hospital Land, here are a run-down of the stations. Kids will experience a total of 5 stations which are:
1) A-B-SEE – See through the eye of an optometrist and learn how to identify vision problems using our color and reading charts. The kids found this test the most familiar, as they have had to go through a similar test in school. Check out their responses, as they were asked to test their eyes. Total Enthusiasm!
2) Build A Body – Kids were guided through the human body, as they learned the various body parts. Through a fun interactive activity, they learned about how the body worked.
3) Be a Pharmacist? – Get behind the pharmacy counter, dispense and advise patients about drug usage and side effects of medications! Dispel any misconceptions and learn about the job demands of a pharmacist.
4) Radiology – Pry into the insides of a human body! Using machines with sophisticated imaging technologies, a radiologist seeks to provide a precise diagnosis of any abnormalities in the human body. Young learners can study how to ‘scan’ a patient and decipher a PET-MRI scan at this interactive session. My kids were ever-ready patients!
5) ‘Doctor for a Day App – The Educational Hospital Game for Kids’ – Have a go at Singapore’s first of its kind free edutainment application. Basically, the app allows little ones to role play as a doctor and learn basic surgical techniques, dress up their avatar doctor and also train their visual memory while learning about the human anatomy at a time-based memory challenge.
The Good news is that this “Doctor for a Day” Application is still available today for download on iOS and Android tablets and recommended for children aged 4 to 8.
This is Singapore’s first-of-its-kind free edutainment application designed by a healthcare provider where a child can earn points and unlock achievements while playing the game and exchange for PHYSICAL doctors’ toys! What’s more exciting is that Golden Tickets will be released during app-play, inviting the lucky ones to the exclusive ‘Doctor for a Day’ programme at the hospital.
The response for these fun fill activities are overwhelming, and I am sure that Mount Elizabeth will be having another one soon. To keep yourself updated on the activities, do get your updates on the Mount Elizabeth Facebook Page.